What We Do:
- Transfiguring Adoption develops media, resources, and tools that nurture growth in foster and adoptive families.
How We Do It:
- Online Resources
- Easy to Search [Book List] with Books for Both Kids and Grownups
- Children’s Book [Discussion Guides] (with book reviews)
- [Kids’ Discussion Guide using the Harry Potter Series]
- [Playful Engagement Tool] to Help Parents Bond with Kids
- [Advice from a Foster/Adoptive Mom]
- Insight from an [Adult Adoptee]
- First Foster Placement Survival Kits
- Filled with tools to help new foster parents successfully work through a child’s past trauma, connect with the child, and deal with behaviors brought on by trauma
- Pizza Contest Sponsored by Jet’s Pizza of Knoxville
- Greater Knoxville and Nashville Area Jet’s Pizza offers a chance for one foster/adoptive family to have one night off from cooking.
- One Knoxville and one Nashville area family per month is chosen from our blog subscription list to receive a Full Pizza Meal.
- Live Streaming Discussions
- Provide interactive discussions hosted online to help foster/adoptive parents to learn more about how to help their children through past trauma and heal.
How We Began:
The Transfiguring Adoption program began as a fun family project for the Finks – a foster/adoptive family. Consequently, they all thoroughly enjoyed reading J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Through the course of reading the series as a family, they found that several topics concerning the difficulties surrounding foster care and adoption were able to be discussed in a healthy way.
Since those initial beginnings, we have branched out to examine other books, music, movies, etc. that will assist foster and adoptive families.
What should you know about us?
- We believe that each person is unique and special
- We believe that people can change and learn from their mistakes
- Transfiguring Adoption is NOT affiliated with any adoption or foster care agency.
Meet the Crew
Darren Fink: Co-Founder
Darren received his bachelors degree in visual fine arts. Since university, he has worked varying graphic design and social media management positions. He’s an imaginative foster/adoptive parent that can get children to go to bed by inventing a detailed story about small, friendly creatures living throughout the house that only come out at night. Darren helped co-found Community Kids, a resource and networking 501(c)3 created to assist foster/adoptive families.
Margie Fink: Co-Founder & Blogger
Margie received her degree in psychology and has worked in various social work capacities. Due to her expertise and knowledge, Margie has been chosen in the past to speak on Capitol Hill about the Refundable Adoption Tax Credit. She is a witty foster/adoptive mom who is able to give kids from hard places loving structure while providing unbelievable homemade cooking. Margie co-founded Community Kids, a resource and networking 501(c)3 created to assist foster, adoptive, and relative caregiver families.
Check Out: Wise Thoughts From A Foster-Adoptive Mom
Betsy Crockett: Blog Director
Betsy was born, adopted, and raised in central Illinois, and has lived there her entire life. She is married to a very fantastic, understanding man named Lucas, and is a mother to her dream children: Eli, and Cailyn. Her household includes two dogs, Cleo the papillon, and Jelly the pug, a bearded dragon named “The Doctor”, a frog named Lazarus (who came back from the dead), and a fish. When she isn’t managing her “family zoo”, Betsy volunteers with her church, and with Boy Scouts, and is an adoption advocate.
Check out: Confessions of a Loyal Adoptee
Maxine Fink: Blogger
Maxine is not only retired from working in the medical field but she is also an adoptive grandmother through domestic adoption. Besides having lived out a successful career, she has proven more than successful in the areas of cooking/baking and as a seamstress.
Check out: Grandparent Talk
Lauren Blevins: Content Manager & Office Assistant
Lauren’s bio is coming shortly. She is responsible for keeping all of our lists, tables and articles updated, looking nice and keeping them relevant for all of you great people.
Rachael Rathe: Events Coordinator
Laura Chromzack: Caregiver Support Group Manager – Southern Illinois
Laura and her husband Will have been fostering for over 5 years with the intention to adopt one day. Besides their 2 biological daughters, their household has seen scads of foster children. Laura’s experiences have made her an excellent resource for parents to turn to about the foster care system. Laura is the manager of a foster and adoptive parent support group in Southern Illinois called, Community Kids, which is overseen by Transfiguring Adoption.
Check Out: Foster Care & Adoption Support of Southern Illinois Facebook Group
Katie Hatfield: Co-Manager of Volunteer Mobilization
As an adoptee herself, Katie can understand the complexities of the foster system. Growing up, Harry Potter played a big influence in her life, and she is honored to use the magic [of the series] to help others. Katie assists in the mobilization and supervision of the activities of the Transfiguring Adoption Elf Squad which is group begun by Harry Potter fans wanting to support caregivers and protect kids.
Check Out: Transfiguring Adoption Elf Squad
Thank You To Our Valuable Sponsors:
Transfiguring Adoption is a program of Community Life Concepts.
The thoughts and opinions on the blog are not legal, medical, and/or professional advice. Nor are the views and opinions affiliated with J.K. Rowling or Warner Bros. Entertainment.